Monday, March 9, 2009

What would your living obituary consist of?

This week for class we were asked to write a living obituary for another student in the class. Overall this assignment was a little challenging to do because I personality never have written one and not really sure what it entails. Looking at the examples helped but overall this was a challenge... writing an obituary for someone that is still living? Interesting?

After talking with my partner for the assignment and thinking about all the things that she has been involved in, I tried to think of what the main components of her life were. Even though this was difficult, I thought it was much easier to do this for someone else than for myself. It will be interesting to see what my partner came up with as the essence of my life and if I found the same.

Describing the essence of some one's life made me think of what the essence of my life includes. The main essence of my life to be honest has been school. For 17 years, I have been going to school and my main goal has been to excel in my studies. This is interesting because during elementary school this was a struggle for me. Learning to read was not the easiest for me and it is ironic because after elementary school, I rarely go below a B in any of my classes for the rest of my schooling. So my life has been revolving around achieving exceptional grades and constant A's. This to me in not that impressive since recruiters look for more. For example, the JcPenney's recruiter said that she not only looks at GPA but what leadership roles and what else the candidate has done. This can highly influence a company selecting a different candidate over myself.

Therefore, this got me thinking what else I can do? I have had leadership roles but they were minimal. More leadership is constantly needed and more challenging roles. My grades are just not enough because they do not tell enough about my capabilities. I no longer want the essence of my life to be schoolwork and grades.... I want it to be something that is more extraordinary that will set me apart. Let the brainstorming and action plans begin! Average is not OK for many people, and it is not alright for me. Why blend in when you can stand out...

No comments:

Post a Comment